Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Jeff Tweedy broke my heart...the official S.T.A.G.E.(c) review of Wilco

Some of you (ok, probably like 2 of you) are now wondering what the heck is a S.T.A.G.E.(c) review?  Well the S.T.A.G.E. system was developed by Jen and Clayton Smith sometime around 2003 or so as a means of evaluating concerts based on the following categories:
Set list - self explanatory
Theatrics - lights, show set, overall performance factors
Amenities - the venue, proximity to drinks/facilities, etc.
Get up and go - crowd factor
Encore - self explanatory

All categories are worth 1-5 points and the aggregate score will judge the concert.  So without further ado, here is my review of the Wilco concert held on November 8, 2011 at the Alte Oper in Frankfurt am Main, Hessen Germany.

Set List - aggregate score 3.5/5.  First of all I have to start out by stating for the record that I am not a massive Wilco fan.  I know quite a few massive fans of the band, and I have enjoyed most of the music that I have heard from them, but I wouldn't say I have a deep knowledge of the band's catalogue.  However, based on the opinion of one friend this was a B+/A- Wilco set list (Wilco's set list), and honestly in my limited knowledge I would have to agree.  I was thoroughly entertained by the musical selections for the entire show even if I wasn't familiar with them.  I had to deduct an extra 0.5 from the score for the lack of "Heavy Metal Drummer" from the set list.  I have never understood why band's don't play their most popular songs during a concert.  I fully understand the point of wanting to appeal to your more hardcore fans, and Wilco definitely has a hardcore following, but at some point you have to throw the rest of us a bone.  I mean could you imagine going to a Springsteen show and not hearing Born To Run?  That would never happen, and I wish more bands would accept the fact that when they have a song that most everyone will know, it deserves to get played during the show, people pay good money and you have to give them what they want.  Still it was a solid show musically and I have to admit I am a much bigger Wilco fan today than I was on Monday...plus they played Hummingbird which I really enjoyed.

Theatrics - aggregate score 3.5/5.  Workman like performance, best way to describe the show.  Lead singer Jeff Tweedy had very little interaction with the crowd for the first 2/3 of the show (more on this in a minute) save a guitar mishap which forced him to be a little conversational with the crowd for a hot minute.  The band just cranked out song after song, which could be a beneficial trait to some but I want a little bit more out of a performance personally.  Now I wasn't expecting to see a Chris Martin-esque spastic dancing all over the stage, but it's not like the band was lacking for personality.  When Tweedy did engage in a little banter I actually found him to be quite funny and engaging, but that is just not how Wilco rocks it out.  The set was minimal at best, basically some upside down lamp shades hanging above the band that were used for light projection.  However, the lights were actually quite good and more than I was expecting going in.  Nothing extravagant mind you, but the use of the lights was superb and in a way enhanced the show, especially their use of strobe lighting...that was worth an extra 0.5 for me.

Very subdued set, but cool lights...

Amenities - aggregate score 3/5.  Ah the Alte Oper, ever since I moved to Frankfurt I have wanted to take in a show here to see the inside of the place.  The exterior is easily my favorite building in the city and it just looks like a palatial venue that would be excellent for a show...I mean for crying out loud Carmina Burana was premiered here!  Well...that's the outside.  A quick bit of history, dedicated in 1880 the Alte Oper was almost completely destroyed during a bombing raid in 1944, and it just sat there for a number of years.  In the 1960's the government proposed completely tearing down what remained of the Oper (then known as Germany's most beautiful ruin), however, the citizens of Frankfurt protested and eventually raised the money to restore and renovate the hall.  So in 1981 the hall re-opened as a symphony and concert hall (a new opera house was built in the 1950s) and the inside looks like it was built in the late 70's early 80's, not so impressive.  First off the acoustics were very impressive as you would expect for a hall designed for symphony orchestras.  The beer situation was not that great, it was close by and you could easily get a beer, but you couldn't take it back into your seat...so yeah, that didn't work.  We lucked out a bit for being in the back of the main floor we were actually on some risers so we were slightly elevated above the rest of the crowd which helped.  A few rows forward and we would have been staring into the back of 20+ rows of heads.  Still a decent venue although I may opt for seats in the lower balcony next time.

Get Up and Go - aggregate score 3/5.  So this was the category that going into to the concert I was most interested in, would the crowd be reserved in a typical German manner or would we see some people going buck wild for some Wilco.  Well as I sort of expected, the crowd was definitely of the more reserved manner and basically politely sat in their seats for the majority of the show.  Not to say people weren't into it, I totally saw a lot of head bobbing and the German finger point celebration/rocking out seal of approval (I would have to demonstrate this, but I assume it is a very German thing as I have never seen this thing elsewhere).  It wasn't until about 2/3 through the show when Jeff Tweedy finally decided to engage in the crowd and gave a statement about how it was ok to stand and "experience" the music that people actually took action to stand up and get a little more into it.  Still if this is all it took was a little help from the front man I have to sort of dock some points because I feel like this could have been a more rocking of a time.  I mean I can't imagine that Bono would ever put on a show were people were not on their feet, nor can you really sit during a show when Chris Martin is bouncing around the stage and basically going crazy (you feel that energy) and Win Butler of the Arcade Fire would have probably just told people "this is fucking rock show, get up!" (he basically said this exact quote during their YouTube broadcast show from MSG).  Still I guess when the front man is rocking a blazer it doesn't exactly scream "hey this is a show you are going to party your ass off for," so I have to dock a bit for the wardrobe choice...

Now I should also note that it was at this time that some of the people around me decided to make their way to the exits...so it may just be that a lot of German's don't like to get into the show.  I give Tweedy props for finally getting the crowd a little more into it (and the concert really took off at that point) but I have to take away for the people in my direct vicinity.  Specifically, the woman in front of us who as my buddy Mark proclaimed as "the bird with the biggest head of hair ever" (yes he is from England) and the guy to my right who had such terrible B.O. that I think he came straight from the Occupy Frankfurt protest.

Encore - aggregate score 4/5.  Via Chicago, Whole Love, and A Shot in the Arm...all in all very solid. Via Chicago was a strong opener to the encore and Whole Love and A Shot in the Arm wrapped the show nicely.  Still I felt like they could have closed it down just a bit better by dropping in Heavy Metal Drummer, Ashes of American Flags or maybe something a little more rocking like Kicking Television...I don't know what exactly I wanted from a band I wasn't super familiar with, but it just felt like they could have dropped one more on the crowd to send them home partying.

Total Score - 17/25...all said it was a solid show.  Musically and musicianship wise these guys are likely hard to touch.  All of the performers in the band were solid and as you can read in almost any review of their albums, Tweedy writes some of the better lyrics out there today.  Still it just left me wanting just a bit more out of the show and didn't give me the transcendent experience that I was hoping for.  Out of all of the shows I have seen it definitely rates highly but doesn't crack into the coveted top 5 of JTH concert going experiences, but if you have the chance Wilco is worth parting with a few bucks for a very entertaining few hours.  A few other quick thoughts, caught the end of opening act Jonathan Wilson and it was fairly hilarious at one point.  He was in-between songs and started to thank the crowd saying, "It's great to be here tonight in.....uh, Frankfurt at the uh......uh Opera."  Not sure if the dude was drunk or stoned but it was hilarious.  Other than that his set was not really worth noting.

See you on the flip.

(c) The S.T.A.G.E. review system was invented/created by Jen and Clayton Smith circa 2003 or 2004 is my guess and I think it was at a Coldplay concert in Nashvegas where they coined it...so that actually may be like 2005.  At any rate you should not use this system without their express written consent or something.  I didn't get that but I don't think they will sue since we are related and all and I think they enjoy my blogging to some extent.  Also, I don't really think they ever got a copyright to this system, which is a shame because S.T.A.G.E. system + ??? = profit.  I will leave it to the ad wizards to figure that one out though.  It is a shame that no one ever reviewed a Warrant show with this system because I think that would provide the answers to Jani Lane that those fans seek.  At any rate, the point is use this at your own risk because I have a feeling that this blog post is going to take the S.T.A.G.E. review system to the next level...even if it incorporates things that the band can't really control, like access to booze, although I will never forgive Pearl Jam for having booze sales cut off at the start of their shown and then Eddie Vedder prancing around all drunk with his bottle of wine rubbing it in our face, I still won't forgive PJ for that.  

No comments:

Post a Comment